Internet Safety Talks for Parents
Webwise has developed a comprehensive internet safety talk for parents that can be delivered by teachers. The Webwise Parents Presentations are designed to assist schools who wish to host parent internet safety evenings. The information included in the presentations covered key topics for parents including social media, screen time, cyber-bullying, image-sharing and features expert advice and support. Presentations are available for primary and post-primary schools and can be downloaded here: https://www.webwise.ie/internet-safety-talks-for-parents/
Please note these talks are designed to assist schools in forging home links with parents and introducing the topic of internet safety to the school community. Schools should also direct parents to the relevant services and supports including the National Parents Council Primary.
It is recommended that the school engage in internet safety lessons to support students in schools. Webwise offer free teaching and classroom resources for both primary and post-primary schools. The resources can be accessed here: https://www.webwise.ie/teachers/resources/
Before accessing the PowerPoints, make sure you have a run through and look through the following points:
- Download the presentation beforehand and read all material including the script
- Test the video/audio ahead of the talk
- Review the schools AUP, the talk gives you the opportunity to discuss parents’ views on smartphone use in schools
- Familiarise yourself with any issues that may be currently ongoing in the school. For example; an app may be causing some concern, check Webwise.ie/parents for more information on popular apps
- Ahead of the talk, it is recommended you print and distribute the Webwise Parents’ Guide to a Better Internet for all participants. This can be downloaded here: https://www.webwise.ie/guides-parents/
- Liaise with the Pastoral Care team and SPHE department beforehand and ask that someone from this area be present during the talk.
- The talk is designed to take 45 mins to 1 hour to complete
- If there is a topic that is not relevant to your school, feel free to skip over it. However, we do not recommend editing content of the presentation
- Leave time for questions at the end of the talk. If there are some questions you are unable to answer, direct parents to the available supports; National Parents Council and Webwise.ie
- If you have any questions in relation to the presentation beforehand, please contact us directly at email@example.com